Public voting for movie awards
- The organizers of an upcoming award function for Indian movies wanted to capture votes from movie-lovers in 5 different categories.
- They needed an easy way to capture those votes on SMS without asking voters to type long text strings.
- They were also looking at collecting these thousands of responses coming on SMS and consolidating them into a single report.
- Gupshup designed a solution that let the event organizers advertise a single dedicated phone number to its target audience.
- Once the interested voter gives a missed call on that number, Gupshup sends her an SMS with a link to the award’s nomination page.
- The link opens up a smart message in the user’s smartphone browser that shows the nominations in all 5 categories.
- As each user submits their vote, the system instantly aggregates all responses.
- If a user fails to respond to the smart message within 20 minutes, the system triggers an automatic IVR to the voter.
- The IVR takes the user through all the choices in each award category; the user submits her votes by dialing the dedicated number for that choice.
- Votes flowing in from both SMSs and IVR channels get aggregated and tabulated in real time, and the results appear instantly on a dashboard custom-designed for the event.
- The simplicity and efficiency of such a mechanism has brought the organizers a higher response rate and more voters than through a plain vanilla SMS system
- Labour costs have got trimmed by aggregating all categories into a single “awards report”
- The alternate IVR mechanism has assisted in capturing responses from voters who don’t have smartphones or data packs
- Gupshup’s omnichannel smart messaging capabilities have dramatically reduced the cost of the campaign too.